Turkish Get Up
The Turkish Get Up works the upper and lower abs. Using a dumbbell, the exercise also works the shoulder. Make sure to keep your core tight throughout the exercise. The Turkish Get Up exercise is related to the Turkish Sit Up. Both exercises work the obliques, and rectus adominus (upper abs). This is a great shoulder stability exercise, that works your core, too.
Turkish Get Up Benefits
The benefits of the Turkish Get Up include improved strength, flexibility, and stability. Get Ups improve shoulder strength, as well as, improving core performance. Get Ups also help with gaining full body strength of the legs, glutes, core, and back.
Turkish Get Up Mental Cue
Celebrity fitness trainer, Gunnar Peterson, has his clients do Turkish Get Ups. When doing them, try to imagine that are throwing a javelin. Keep your core and arms tight throughout the exercise, while also keeping your legs still. His clients include Gwen Stefani, Kim Kardashian, and Jennifer Lopez.
Turkish Get Up Exercise
The Turkish Get Up is similar to the Turkish Sit Up. The Turkish Get up has you raise the dumbbell over your head. Put one leg out to the side, and raise the dumbbell in the air.
Here, you start by lying on your back with a dumbbell in hand:
- Bend your right leg to a right angle, and putt in closer to your torso.
- Keep left leg straight, while pulling your shoulder back.
- Raise the dumbbell over your stomach, and punch the dumbbell toward the ceiling.
- (In a Full Get Up), you stand all the way up, bringing both feet together.
- (In a Full Get Up), return to the ground by getting back down on one knee.
- Then, return to starting position.
Popular Turkish Get Up Workouts
- The Gwen Stefani workout uses the Turkish Get up to stay fit.
- The Chris Hemsworth workout uses the Turkish Get Up for his Thor workout.
- The Jennifer Lopez workout uses Turkish Get Ups while working with Gunnar Peterson.
- The Kim Kardashian workout uses the Turkish Get Up to tone her abs and arms.
- The Gerard Butler 300 workout used this exercise with a barbell. His cast and crew usually did this at the end of their workouts during their Dirty 30’s.
- The Jennifer Garner workout uses Turkish Get Ups at the end of her total body circuits.
Popular Variation: Turkish Sit Up
To do a Turkish sit up:
- Lie on your back with legs spread out evenly.
- Holding a dumbbell, perform an ab crunch.
- Keep your alternate arm outspread for balance.
- Each set, use your opposing arm to perform the Turkish Sit Up.
Here is a video showing how to do a Turkish Sit Up:
Proper Turkish Get Up Technique
Proper Turkish Get Up form requires that you keep your legs still. Don’t jerk during the Turkish Get Up. Keep your core tight throughout the exercise. Here is a special techniques, showing you how to perform a Full Get Up with someone attached.
Help Share the Turkish Get Up Exercise
Know anyone who can benefit from the Turkish Get Up exercise?
Please share it with them below:
I m the crossfit traniner n i like this jenifer lopez wod
Comments are closed.