Tree Pose, or Vrksasana in Sanskrit, is a yoga exercise that works the abs and thighs. You can perform variations of the Tree Pose to work different muscle groups. This pose also focuses on aligning your head, spine, and hips. Tree Pose also helps with posture and concentration. As you perform your hand motions in Tree Pose, you can pretend your arms are the branches of the tree.
To do the Tree Pose Exercise:
- Stand with your feet together, palms together at chest.
- Shift weight onto left foot. (Start in Mountain Pose if you are comfortable with that)
- Slowly pick your right leg up, and bring your right foot high into your left thigh.
- Keep your left leg straight.
- Perform various arm motions (as in the video below) as you balance yourself.
- While balancing on one leg, spread your arms out, then fold them in a temple/prayer formation.
- Drop your leg, and repeat the Tree Pose exercise by switching your legs.
Tree Pose Variations
Beginners often lean to one side. So, make sure to balance yourself, especially when performing hand movements. If you are still having problems try resting your foot against your calf muscle instead.
Advanced variations can pull all the way up into a half lotus, which requires even more balance. Feel the symmetry of your knees and hips as your rotate from leg to leg. To warm up, you can do some plies to feel yourself connecting with the earth as a ‘tree.’
Popular Tree Pose Yoga Workout
- The Jennifer Aniston workout uses the Tree Pose to work her legs and butt, while improving her posture and concentration, during her Yoga workouts.
- The Rebecca Romjin workout used Tree Pose twice a week. She did yoga to lose her body weight, and get back in shape.
- The Gisele workout uses Tree Pose during her workouts. On the other days, she is busy doing Kung Fu and Tai Chi.
- The Jessica Biel workout uses Tree Pose as part of her yoga workouts. On other days, she does strength circuit training. Jessica Biel loves yoga, because it stretches her muscles. She says that yoga is just as vital as diet and strength training.
Tree Pose Yoga Workout Video
Here is a video explanation from Liz McDonald, on how she performs the Tree Pose:
Interested in the yoga workout Jennifer Aniston uses? Get Mandy Ingber’s Yogalosophy Workout DVD (on Amazon).
Help Share the Tree Pose Yoga Exercise
Know anyone that can benefit from the Tree Pose?
Share the Tree Pose yoga exercise with them below: