Ryan Reynolds Saturday Workout Routine = Abs & Shoulders
Ryan Reynolds Saturday Workout Routine involved an Abs & Shoulders workout. Start with abs, then work your way to shoulders. The Shoulder workout is the end of the week, as far as the routine goes. Make sure to work them hard, as Ryan did. Increasing mass in your shoulders is awesome, it really shows.
Ab Circuit: 5 sets (25 reps of each)
Shoulder Workout: 4 sets of 8-12 reps for each exercise
- Training for Muscle Growth: 8-12 reps for 4 sets per exercise. Rest 1 min between sets.
|Seated Overhead Press||4||8-12||60 secs|
|Dumbbell Front Raises||4||8-12||60 secs|
|Dumbbell Side Raises||4||8-12||60 secs|
|Bent-Over Lateral Raises||4||8-12||60 secs|
|Cable Flys||4||8-12||60 secs|
|Dips Until Failure||4||8-12||60 secs|
|Triceps Push-downs (Normal Grip)||4||8-12||60 secs|
|Triceps Push-downs (Narrow Grip)||4||8-12||60 secs|
|Lying Tricep Skullcrushers||4||8-12||60 secs|
|Bar Dips||4||Failure||60 secs|
Video Demonstrations of Chest & Arms Exercises:
- Seated Overhead Dumbbell Press
- Dumbbell Front Raises
- Dumbbell Side Raises
- Bent-Over Lateral Raises
- Triceps Push-downs (Normal Grip)
- Triceps Push-downs (Narrow Grip)
- Lying Tricep Skullcrushers
- Bar Dips
Ryan Reynolds Cardio Workout
There’s no cardio in the Ryan Reynolds workout for Blade Trinity. This is because Ryan found himself “wearing away” when he tried to do cardio. So, they decided to stick to ab circuits and strength training. If you’re looking to get ripped, you may want to add cardio to your workout. Vary between low intensity cardio for 45 minutes and HIIT training for 15 minutes. Low intensity training, coupled with HIIT, works wonders against your fat stores.
Ryan Reynolds Diet For Blade Trinity
The Ryan Reynolds diet for Blade Trinity was quite an adventure. He was used to eating whatever he wanted. According to Men’s Fitness, the Blade Trinity Diet was a 3,200 calorie diet that helped Ryan Reynolds gain 25 pounds for the role. To get there, Ryan Reynolds had to make some big changes and discoveries. He says:
I learned that 80% of building muscle is diet. We got the food down to a science, making sure I was getting enough calories to gain mass, but not fat. A lot of oatmeal, eggs, protein bars for snacks, chicken, fish or steak for dinner. I ate a lot of small meals all day long. Lots of protein, but plenty of carbs, too. I really don’t believe in that no-carb stuff. It’s probably not good for you–and it makes you pretty cranky.
The Ryan Reynolds diet for Blade Trinity includes:
- Breakfast: 2-4 Eggs scrambled, 2-4 cups of Steel-cut Oatmeal mixed berries, apple sauce (watch the sugar content), cinnamon, and a serving of almond butter (as a ‘good fat,’ remember that fat is crucial in testosterone production needed for bigger muscles), more egg whites if Ryan’s appetite was high.
- 2 hours later: protein bar 12-20g of protein
- Lunch: All sorts of Veggies, Brown rice, Fish or Chicken / Ahi Tuna with dark, leafy green salad with oil and balsamic/cider vinegar.
- 2-3 hours later: Pre-workout Protein bar or preferably shake
- Dinner: Similar to lunch, (Lean Protein and Lots of Vegetables), substitute a different lean protein to add variety to the diet. Light Oil & Balsamic dressing on a dark, leafy green salad.
- 2 hours later: Optimum Whey Protein Shake before bed (throughout the night if he really was going through a bulking phase).
Ryan Reynolds says that for his diet for Blade Trinity:
I ate something pretty much every 2-3 hours, never “stuffing” myself, but never letting myself get hungry.”…. As well as drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
His nutritionist, Bobby Strom says:
Your body doesn’t need to store fat for energy if you’re feeding it all the time.
This is why the Ryan Reynolds for diet for Blade Trinity included him eating every 2-3 hours. You want to be a little bit hungry between meals, and should eat healthy snacks. Eat apples for fiber, and nuts like almonds, or other healthy fat sources.
While eating a protein/carb mix every 2 hours all day, I’d wind up having about 8 – 10 “tiny” meals instead of 3 big meals over the course of a day. No carbs at night, but plenty during the day. This kind of diet kept my blood sugar even and gave me the requisite energy needed for the physicality of the role.
It’s important not to stuff yourself, either. An even intake of food throughout the day will keep your metabolism’s engine going. Protein supplements can be swapped out for BCAA’s if you prefer not to drink milk.
Meals were cooked once or twice a week to save time. More importantly, cooking in advance makes sure that you don’t start reaching into the fridge for things you’re not supposed to eat. If you don’t feel like cooking, it’s easy to make up an excuse and grab the wrong thing. Blade Trinity co-star, Dominic Purcell, says about the Blade Trinity diet:
We’re on this very high intensive protein, complex carbohydrate diet. Getting up in the morning and having oatmeal, then a protein shake. And then eating 2 hours later. I mean, I’m having meals every 2 hours. I’m topping tuna with vegetables then chicken breast with lettuce, and then protein bars…Give Me A Pizza!
Jessica Biel says:
It’s all about the diet and the exercise. I really have discovered. Eating 2-3 big meals per day…not good. Your metabolism is slower…In a perfect world, have 6-8 small meals a day.
Talking about steel-cut oatmeal, their trainer says:
It may sound a little boring, but it’s very good complex carbohydrate, which is really low in fat. I’d put fresh fruit in it, usually berries like blueberries. Then I add a little bit of almond milk to sweeten it and a bit of protein powder, so they got some carbohydrates and protein in one meal. I also added some flax seeds, which are essential fats.
For lunch, Ryan Reynolds would stick to a clean protein. His nutritionist says:
I served a clean protein, like chicken breast or Ahi tuna, not the canned stuff. Sometimes I’d give them flank steak, which is a really lean red meat. Then I’d put an oil and [balsamic] vinegar dressing on the salad. Vegetables are carbohydrates that you can eat in bulk. You could eat a lot of grilled vegetables.
Ryan Reynold’s dinners usually looked a lot like his lunches, only with a different selection of lean meats and vegetables. In sum, the Ryan Reynolds diet included:
- steel-cut oatmeal(They used McCann’s Steel Cut Oatmeal-takes 1/2 to cook so you know it’s good)
- Hate Almond Butter? Eat flax seeds or avocado (as a substitute for almond butter, both healthy fats, flax seeds have to be ground in a coffee grinder prior to eating for actual benefit.)
- (Quest is a good brand) protein bars
- fresh fruit, like blueberries with the oatmeal (Find ways to make it taste good without sugar)
- 2 eggs, slice of avocado (quick breakfast, especially if you find the recipe to bake this combination in the oven the night before)
- all sorts of vegetables (Reynolds really did eat ALL sorts)
- sweet potatoes (great carbohydrate with slow-release energy)
- chicken breast (staple of most bodybuilding diets)
- Ahi tuna (only sear for about 1-1.5 minute per side)
- protein shakes (whey and water mixed together, not the sugary brand types)
- apple and almonds as a great snack (great snacks combine protein, carbs, and healthy fats)
- brown rice (slow releasing energy with magnesium as an added bonus for muscle building)
- flank steak (get grass-fed beef or bison if you can, Trader Joe’s is a good place to locate such a product, unless you actually know a local farmer)
- Reynolds also never ate carbs after 8:00pm, only protein shakes.
Ryan Reynolds says:
I attribute my results mostly to nutrition. Never do any of that “carb-starve” crap. I was completely floored by the 3 months of training…I gained 15 pounds of muscle, while dropping to 3% body fat. I attribute most of my results to nutrition.
Ryan Reynolds Workout Supplements
For supplements, Ryan Reynolds used:
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)
- Whey Protein (Optimum brand)
Ryan Reynolds supports the science which shows that creatine really helps with lean-muscle building. He says:
I gained a lot more muscle mass when I went on creatine.
Ryan Reynolds Blade Trinity Workout Videos
Ryan Reynolds and the cast of Blade Trinity talk about their workout, diet and training in this video:
Here is Ryan Reynolds and his cast putting their training into action, a compilation from Blade Trinity:
Here is more action and interviews from Blade: Trinity:
Sources For Ryan Reynolds Workout For Blade Trinity Routine
Sources for the Ryan Reynolds Workout Routine include:
- Interviews with Ryan Reynolds while promoting Blade Trinity, including Behind the Scenes of “Blade: Trinity.”
- Interviews with Ryan’s trainer, Darren Chapman and nutritionist, Bobby Strom of Bobby Strom Fitness.
- Magazine Interviews in Men’s Fitness, Men’s Health UK, and Bodybuilding.
- The interview from Six Pack Nutrition about Ryan Reynolds.
- Our Pop Workouts article: Ryan Reynolds workout.
Popular Ryan Reynolds Terms:
- ryan reynolds workout blade trinity
- ryan reynolds six pack workout
- ryan reynolds diet abs blade
- ryan reynolds blade trinity workout
Ryan Reynolds Workout For Blade Trinity Tips
Ryan Reynolds Workout For Blade Trinity Tips include:
Ryan Reynolds says diet is the most important part of the training for Blade Trinity:
The main thing I learned about this whole process is how important food is. Transforming your body quickly is a genetic ability, but can also be traumatic. Eating properly is 80% of the equation. Most people think it’s the other way around…
Also, slow and steady wins the race. Do a workout you’re happy doing, but that challenges you. The advantage that actors have when they’re doing these workouts is that they have a top trainer, they’re getting paid to be in shape, and they have no choice but to do it. The disadvantage they have is that there’s no real reason to keep it up, once the movie’s done.
When asked on whether he’s maintained his physique: No way! It was nice to be able to take a break. But just as I’d gotten used to being lazy again and sitting on my ass all day, we had to re-shoot some scenes, so they sent me back into the gym. I’m glad, though, because I ended up finding this nice gray area, where I still work out four or five times a week and enjoy it, but it’s not to that extreme level.
The advantage we all have is that we can visualize our goals, take our time, and have fun. The more fun you have with this workout, the better. But, that doesn’t mean you will get results from doing very little. Motivate yourself to push through the Ryan Reynolds workout for Blade Trinity.
Share The Ryan Reynolds Workout For Blade Trinity
Know anyone who wants to look like Ryan Reynolds For Blade Trinity? Or anyone that can benefit from his Blade Trinity workout?
Then Share The Ryan Reynolds Workout For Blade Trinity, Below.Looking for more Workouts For Men? Get The Best Male Workouts Here!