Reverse Warrior Pose
Reverse Warrior Pose is a great yoga exercise that works your abs, obliques, and legs. It is also called Peaceful Warrior Pose. Reverse Warrior is a great way to stretch your spine. Due to the signature stretching of your upper torso, this is a great exercise to work your obliques. It also works your legs, especially the glutes, quads and hamstrings.
Through the movement, you work many areas of the body, including your arms, core, and legs. You will move through different poses, to complete each Reverse Warrior. To do Reverse Warrior:
- Start in Downward Dog, with your hands forward and legs extended behind you.
- Inhale, and bring the right leg up to the sky.
- Then, exhale and bring the right leg forward to your chest.
- Inhale, and stand with feet wide apart, left foot pointed out, left heel in line with arch of right foot.
- Exhale, and bend your left knee until your thigh is parallel to ground.
- Extend your arms in front and behind you, at shoulder height.
- Reach left arm overhead and behind you, sliding your right hand down your leg.
- Stretch the right side of your torso backwards. Raise your Right hand behind you to extend this stretching motion.
- Try to only lightly rest your right hand on your leg. Let your core do the work of stabilizing your body.
- Reverse, so that now your left elbow is on your left thigh, with your right arm overhead.
- Aim for 8-10 reps (each side) of the Reverse Warrior Pose.
If you are having trouble, you can take it slow. Sometimes, you may need to gain flexibility before being able to stretch very far in the Reverse Warrior. Avoid anything that is too painful, just try to do a little bit more each time!
- The Jennifer Aniston workout uses the Reverse Warrior Pose to work her abs, especially the obliques, during her Yoga workouts.
- The Gisele workout also uses the Reverse Warrior Pose. She uses it on days where she does Tracy Anderson aerobics workouts.
- The Jessica Biel workout uses Reverse Warrior Pose as part of her yoga workouts. On other days, she does strength circuit training.
Here is a great video explanation of how to do the Reverse Warrior Pose, from the perspective of a yogi showing a pupil how to perform the exercise properly:
Interested in the yoga workout Jennifer Aniston uses? Get Mandy Ingber’s Yogalosophy Workout DVD (on Amazon).
Help Share the Reverse Warrior Yoga Pose
Know anyone that could benefit from the Reverse Warrior Yoga pose?
Help share the Reverse Warrior Yoga Pose with them below: