The Pilates Hot Potatoes exercise involves tapping your feet, to work your core. This is called the Hot Potato because you are constantly tapping your lead leg in front of your bottom leg. Then, you raise your lead leg into the air. After that you will be tapping your lead leg behind your bottom leg. Constantly switching between front and back becomes tedious, but you want to do it quickly as if you were holding a hot potato.
Hot Potatoes Tone Abs & Legs
Like all Pilates, the Hot Potatoes exercise works by how you position your abs, legs and shoulders. This exercise is unique, in how it also affects the curvature of your spine. All the leg work you do with this exercise helps with proper spine alignment. Working while holding your core in place tones your abs, too.
It is best to start by taking classes where an instructor can help you with your technique. In this exercise, you want to perform it rather quickly. In the Hot Potatoes exercise, you raise your leg up into the sky. While doing so, you must also make sure you retain proper form throughout the exercise.
How to Perform the Pilates Hot Potatoes Exercise
To perform the Pilates Hot Potato Exercise:
- Start, by laying down on your side on the mat.
- Extend your legs long, and bring them forward.
- Turn top leg out, pointing your toe outward.
- Tap your toe 5 times in front of bottom foot.
- Then, Raise your leg high into the sky parallel to your torso.
- Repeat, only this time tap behind your bottom foot.
- Roll over, and repeat with your other leg.
- Typically, you want to do 8-10 reps on each leg. Aim for 3 sets as part of your Pilates workout.
- The Miley Cyrus workout uses the Hot Potato Pilates Exercise. Miley uses them, as part of the Mari Winsor Routine.
You may want to place a pillow beneath your head, while doing this exercise. This is to ensure proper spine alignment while doing this Pilates workout. Hot Potato Pilates exercises require proper form and technique, even though you want to alternate between front and back quickly.
Interested in the Pilates workout that Miley Cyrus does with her trainer? Get the Mari Winsor Pilates DVD Workouts (on Amazon). Now, you can do the Miley Cyrus Pilates workout, any time you want, at-home!
Help Share the Pilates Hot Potatoes Exercise
Know anyone that can benefit from the Pilates Hot Potatoes exercise? Or, who wants to work their abs?
Share the Pilates Hot Potatoes exercise now!