Gerard Butler 300 Workout
Gerard Butler says:
I wanted to look really strong. I’ve seen so many actors play these kinds of roles, and you see all this equipment on either a big belly or skinny little arms.
To become King Leonidas, Gerard Butler spent 4 months training to get in shape. The King of Sparta says that in order to get a warrior’s body, it was essential to get a warrior’s mentality. After the intense workouts, Gerard Butler would often feel queasy. This made the the mental aspect as important as the physical.
Gerard Butler 300 Workout Routine
Sources for the Gerard Butler 300 Workout Routine include:
- Interviews with Gerard Butler while promoting 300.
- Interviews with Gerard Butler’s trainer, Mark Twight of Gym Jones.
- “300” The So-Called Program by Mark Twight
- Magazine Interviews in Men’s Health, Men’s Fitness, and Esquire.
Gerard Butler Monday Workout Routine
The Gym Jones team that supervised the Gerard Butler 300 workout had them train twice a day.
|Clean||10||2 per set||0 secs||One Superset combo||Superset #1|
|Squat||10||5 per set||1 min||every 30 secs for 5 mins||Superset #1|
|Heavy Front Squat||5||5||1 min||70-75% of max|
|Box Step-up||6||10||30 secs||use DB's if you can||10 reps each leg|
|Frog Hops||4||20||2 min||Superset #2|
|Bear Crawl||4||40m||each set||40m = about 43 yards||Superset #2|
|Turkish Get-Ups||3||20||30 secs||300 crew used a barbell|
1st workout: (Same as table above, described in detail)
- 2x Clean + 5x Squat @ 70% body weight (One combo every 30 seconds for 5 minutes)
- 2x Two-hand KB Clean and Squat @ 35-45 lb. (16-20kg) One combo every 30 seconds for 5 minutes.
- 5x Heavy Front Squat (70-75% of max)
- 6x Heavy Box Step-up (“Heavy” means use dumbbells if you can.)
- 20 Frog Hops + 40m Bear Crawl (Do 4 rounds of this combo, rest 2 minutes between sets.)
- 20 Turkish Get-Ups (3 sets, the 300 crew used a barbell)
Gym Jones manager, Rob “Maximus” MacDonald says:
When there are psychological changes, the physical changes will fall into place. If you can teach someone’s mind to be strong, then it is easy to teach the body to be strong. The first and most important point of our philosophy is that The Mind is Primary.
|Cardio||10 mins||0 secs|
|Bench Press||6||10||1 min||300 crew used 225 to start|
|Military Push Press||4||12||1 min||70-75% of max|
|Arnold Press||2||25||1 min||use Dumbbells|
|Hammer Curls||2||25||1 min||use Dumbbells|
(Same as table above, described in detail)
Gerard Butler 300 Workout Tuesday Routine
One goal of the 300 workout routine, according to trainer Mark Twight, was to:
Turn them into a gang, a unified force whose trust and belief in one another would be obvious on the screen.
|Push Press (Barbell)||3||20||1 min|
|Burpee Pull-up||3||20||1 min||or to failure|
|Push Press (Barbell)||3||10||1 min||try to use heavier weight||than 1st 3 sets|
|Burpee Pull-up||3||12||1 min||or to failure||10 reps each leg|
|Tire Flips||3||40m||1 min||see video||40m = 43 yards|
|Wall Ball||3||50||see explanation below|
|Ball Slam||3||50||see explanation below|
Upper Body: (Same as table above, described in detail)
- 20 Push Press (Barbell)
- 20 Burpee Pull-up
- 10 Push Press (Barbell)
- 12 Burpee Pull-up
- 40m Tire Flips (see video below)
- 50-50-50x Wall Ball @ 20lb.(9kg.) Medicine Ball Relay: (They broke the guys down into teams of 3) Player 1 does 50x Wall Ball, Player 2 does 50x Wall Ball, Player 3 does 50x Wall Ball.
- 50x50x50x Ball Slam @ 25lb.(11kg.) Relay: (They broke the guys down into teams of 3) P1 does 50x Ball Slam, P2 does 50x Ball Slam, P3 does 50x Ball Slam.
300 Trainer, Mark Twight, says:
Start the journey with 20x Push Press, dip the hands and knees slightly, drive the bar overhead to full extension. Once finished rack the bar and set up under the Pull-up bar to do 20x Burpee Pull-ups. After the final Pull-up, drop off the bar, grab the barbell and do 10x Push Press.
Dirty 30’s: (Do following 3 exercises, you have 1 minute to complete each. Use remaining time to rest. 3 sets.)
- Sled Pulls (the 300 crew used resistance bands, sub in treadmill/wind sprints if you need)
- Chinups (the 300 crew used rings)
- Turkish Get-Ups (3 sets, the 300 crew used a barbell)
Dirty 30’s Instructions
1 minute for each station. Find a challenging amount of reps you can do in 50 secs. If you go fast in the following sets, you get rewarded with rest. The only rest you get is if you finish in under 1 minute. If you start to dog it, you lose that rest time. It’s psychological. Like a lot of the exercises you’d expect from a gym called Gym Jones.
Get everything done in 1 min or less. If you move fast, you get to rest. But, it gets harder as you go longer. You may find there This makes it harder to find rest time between sets.
|Goblet Squat||3||5||1 min|
|OH Barbell Lunge||3||20||30sec|
|Dead Stop Back Squat||2||2||1 min||80% of your max|
|Explosive Triple Jump||5||2||1 min|
|Box Jump||4||30 sec||30sec|
|Explosive Box Step||4||60 sec||30 sec|
|Jump Squat||4||30 sec||30 sec|
|KB Swings||3||failure||1 min||23kg (50lb) Kettlebell|
(Same as table above, described in detail)
- 3×5 Wall Squat (explanation @ 47 secs in)
- 3×10 Squat
- 3×5 Goblet Squat
- 3x20m Lunge
- 3x20m OH Barbell Lunge
- 2x Dead Stop Back Squat @ 80% of Max
- 2x Explosive Triple Broad Jump (Five Sets, Full Rest between each)
- 30sec Box Jump + 60sec Explosive Box Step-up (Four Rounds)
- 30sec Jump Squat +60sec Quick Step (Four Rounds)
- KB Swings to failure with 50 lb. kettlebell (23kg)
- Farmer Holds, 60-65% of body weight
(Five sets, rest 3-5 minutes between set)
300 Abs Routine:
Do 60 reps of each abs exercise (Break down into 3 sets of 20 if you have to):
See The Gerard Butler 300 Workout for Wednesday – Friday on the Next Page.