On Wednesdays, Don Saladino has Ryan Reynolds do a simple cardio workout. When Saladino can only train clients 4 days a week, this is the day he takes off. So, if you can only hit the gym 4 days a week, take this day off.
(Wednesday Workout): Warm Up 10-15 mins. (Foam Rolling, Lateral Jumps, Medicine Ball Slams).
Moderate Cardio: 30-45 mins.
Shoulders & Triceps Workout
On Thursdays, Don Saladino has Ryan Reynolds do a Shoulders & Triceps workout. First, they would focus on Ryan Reynolds’ shoulders with heavier weights. Then, the focus is more about volume, when working the triceps (less weight, more reps).
(Thursday Workout): Click Links For Exercise Descriptions.
- Warm Up: Medicine Ball Slams 3 x 10 reps
- Warm Up: Kettlebell Swings 3 x 8 reps
- DB Shoulder Press 4 x 5 reps
- Arnold Press 3 x 8 reps
- Lateral Raises 4 x 10 reps
- Bent-over Lateral Raises (Rear Delt) 4 x 10 reps
- Lying Triceps Extension 4 x 8 reps
- Overhead Triceps Extensions 3 x 10 reps
- Triceps Rope Pressdown 3 x 15 reps
Back & Abs Workout
On Friday, Ryan Reynolds finishes the week with a Back & Abs workout. They often throw some biceps work (see Monday’s workout, if time permits).
(Friday Workout): Click Links For Exercise Descriptions.
- Deadlift 5 x 5 reps
- Pull Ups 4 x 8 reps
- Dumbbell Rows 4 x 10 reps
- Seated Cable Row 4 x 10 reps
- Lat Pulldowns 3 x 15 reps
- Hanging Knee Raises 3 x 15 reps
- Planks 3 x 30 secs
- Side Planks 3 x 30 secs
- Ab Wheel 3 x 10-20 reps
- (sub: if no Ab Wheel, Medicine Ball Slam 3 x 10 reps)
- Stability Ball Mountain Climbers 3 x 10 reps (each leg)
Ryan Reynolds’ trainer would have him do foam rolling at the beginning of every workout. The idea is to prevent muscle soreness by massaging it away. Deadpool filming required some stunts. They weren’t always easy. Ryan Reynolds says about this pic:
Stuck the landing, with my mouth!
Ryan Reynolds Diet For Deadpool
To get in shape for Deadpool, Ryan Reynolds’ diet was close to perfect. His trainer had him eat a gluten-free, organic and non-GMO diet. This meant eating protein untouched by standard GMO’s (fed to animals) like corn and soy.
So, Ryan Reynolds’ diet for Deadpool was about eating quality protein. Luckily, his trainer Instagrammed some of the food he ate. These pics show what Ryan Reynolds was eating: including bison, organic chicken and brown rice.
Here’s a few from Instagram.
The first meal:
- Steamed spinach
- Vegetarian chili
- Brown rice
Another meal consisting of:
- organic chicken
- brown rice
- black beans
- 2.5 lbs of Ground Turkey Chili
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 tbsps of minced garlic
- 1 15oz cans of kidney beans
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 15oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 1 tsp of oregano
Ryan Reynolds’ trainer says:
Combine turkey, garlic and onions over high heat until turkey is browned. In separate bowl combine: kidney beans, red and green peppers, & diced and crushed tomatoes. Once turkey has browned drain liquid and combine with other ingredients. Add spices. In a large pot over low heat simmer all ingredients for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Drain chili, spoon into bowls, and enjoy!
Personal trainer Don Saladino says it’s important to track your workout and diet. He suggests using Cronometer, because you can scan any #SKU from your phone.