The Chair Pose is a yoga exercise that works the butt, thighs, hamstrings, and calves. It works your body similar to a squat. Sit as far back as you are comfortable in this pose. Your aim is to get to the point where you can make a 90 degree angle out of your legs. It will take awhile before you can do that in chair pose, but the point is to go a little further each time.
Chair Pose Instructions
Instructions: To do the Chair Pose:
- Start by standing with feet together, keeping your palms together at chest.
- Spread toes and shift weight in to heels.
- Extend arms overhead, palms touching, and bend knees,
- Sink down into an imaginary chair, as if you were seated in a chair.
- Hold for 10 seconds.
- Complete three sets that are 10 seconds each.
Focus on sending energy, up from your chair position, and out through the arms. As you do each rep, feel the energy flow through your body.
Popular Chair Pose Workouts
- The Jennifer Aniston workout uses the Chair Pose and even the Twisting Chair Pose, during her Yoga workouts to work her legs and abs.
- The Gisele workout uses this exercise during her yoga workouts. She also does the Tracy Anderson workouts on her yoga days.
- The Jessica Biel workout uses Chair Pose as part of her afternoon yoga workouts. On other days, she does circuit training to stay in shape.
Chair Pose Variations
To add some core work and variety to your chair pose, you can do a Twisting Chair Pose. This occurs by stretching the shoulders and chest sideways. Alternate between folding your hands, or spreading them wide apart each rotation. This variation of the Chair Pose is said to help with digestion and detoxification. It also tones your glutes, hamstrings, and obliques.
To do the Twisting Chair Pose modification:
- From Chair Pose, bend your knees so that your thighs are parallel to the ground.
- Twist your torso to the left, so that your right elbow locks between your thighs.
- Square your hips, balancing your body with your knees.
- For added difficulty, spread your arms wide like a soaring bird.
- Now, switch your arms directions, and swing your torso, slowly 180 degrees to work the other side.
The Chair Pose in Yoga Workouts
The Chair Pose is used in many yoga workouts. Mandy Ingber’s Yogalosophy, used by celebrities like Jennifer Aniston and Kate Beckinsale, is a popular example of a yoga workout that uses the Chair Pose.
Interested in the yoga workout that Jennifer Aniston and Kate Beckinsale use? Get the Yogalosophy Workout DVD (on Amazon).
Share The Chair Pose Yoga Exercise
Know anyone interested in adding the Chair Pose Yoga Exercise to their exercise routine?
Or, anyone you know that who could benefit from the Chair Pose, or the Twisting Chair Pose modification?
Share The Chair Pose Yoga Exercise!