Mountain Climbers Exercise
Mountain Climbers are on of those exercises that looks easy at first. Like any core exercise, it can become difficult quick. In addition to core building, Mountain Climbers provide strength and agility. As you get stronger, you can start performing this exercise faster and faster.
- Start in a pushup position-hands on floor, wider than shoulder width.
- Pull one foot up, underneath you so that your knee is at chest level.
- As you pull it forward, bend it in, while the other leg becomes extended.
- Alternate foot position rapidly, as if running in place.
- Complete eight-twelve reps for each leg. Do 3 sets.
To make the exercise more difficult, you can speed up how fast you climb. This exercise works your core, but also affects your glutes, hamstrings, shoulders and chest. If you have a limited range of motion, you can use stairs, boxes, or other elevated plane to make it easier.
Many athletes and celebs use the Mountain Climbers exercise to tone for their roles:
- The Mila Kunis workout uses the Mountain Climbers exercise in order to tone up for her role in Friends With Benefits.
- The Lady Gaga workout uses the Mountain Climbers exercise to warm up for her Monster’s Ball Tour.
- The Kim Kardashian workout uses this exercise, as she trains with Gunnar Peterson.
- The Jennifer Lopez workout also uses the Mountain Climbers exercises to work her abs/core.
- The Sofia Vergara workout adds Mountain Climbers between circuit sets to keep her heart pumping and calories burning.
- Instagram sensation Jen Selter’s workout programs use this exercise to work your abs, butt and legs toward the end of her ab workouts.
- The BodyRock Team workouts uses Mountain Climbers in many of their workouts. This takes the exercise, and throws it into a fast-paced cardio workout. For example, the At-Home Cardio workouts Day 4 includes Mountain Climbers. You can also use it as a variation for the final exercise in the Sexy Bikini Body Cardio workout.
- The Marisa Miller workout uses Mountain Climbers to mimic her paddleboarding workouts.
Know anyone who can benefit from the Mountain Climbers exercise?
Please share it with them below: