Leonardo DiCaprio WorkoutThe Leonardo DiCaprio workout is a six times a week, 90-minute session done with trainer Gregory Joujon-Roche. Leonardo DiCaprio used this workout to get in shape for The Departed, Gangs of New York, and other films. Leonardo DiCaprio buffed up through a combination of diet, strength training, cardio, yoga and martial arts.
Leonardo DiCaprio was looking for a muscle building workout to give him the rough edge he needed to play roles like the ones in The Departed and Gangs of New York. Street life in south Boston and the Five Points of New York was tough, and Leo knew he had to look the part. Leonardo DiCaprio gained 15 pounds (6.8 kg) of muscle for his roles as Billy in The Departed and Amsterdam Vallon in Gangs of New York.
Sources for the Leonardo DiCaprio workout routine include:
- Interviews with Leonardo DiCaprio while promoting The Departed and Gangs of New York.
- Interviews with Leonardo DiCaprio’s trainer, Gregory Joujon-Roche of Holistic Fitness.
- Gregory Joujon-Roche’s book, One Body, One Life: Six Weeks to the New You
- Interviews in Men’s Health, GQ, and Details Magazine.
Leonardo DiCaprio Workout Monday Routine = Chest & Shoulders
Here’s the Leonardo DiCaprio workout plan:
- yoga / stretching
- 1 hour cardio on Treadmill (@2% Incline) with Abs Intervals
- 30 min. weightlifting: Chest / Shoulders
Here’s the Leonardo DiCaprio Treadmill Cardio/Abs Routine. Leonardo DiCaprio’s trainer, Gregory Joujon-Roche suggests using a heart monitor to make sure you’re at the correct heart rate levels.
- Do 20 minutes on Treadmill (@2% Incline)
- After 10 minutes, make sure you’re heart rate is @75%
- After 20 minutes, stop and do these three core abs exercises: (Ab Circuit)
- Accordion Crunches
- Side Bridges
- 2 minutes treadmill @ 85% heart rate (160 BPM)
- Repeat Ab Circuit (4 sets: Abs/2min/Abs/2min/Abs/2min/Abs/5min)
- Do 2 minute sprint between each ab circuit
- After 4th set of abs, end with run on treadmill for 5 minutes @87%
After doing cardio/abs, they would have specific body parts they would work on. They would start each weak with chest / shoulder muscles. Here’s the Monday weightlifting routine. Instead of having a certain number of reps in mind, just do sets of each circuit until you feel “you’ve killed it.”
- Dive Bombers
- Dumbbell Bench Press
- Advanced Chest Flys
- Cable Flys
- Military Press
- Shoulder Workout Plan: Lateral Flys
- Front Raises
- Barrel Flys
- Straight-Bar Curls
You have to work on sheer strength with bench presses, straight bar curls, and military presses. Don’t worry about counting sets and reps. The goal is to go heavy and feel the power.
Leonardo DiCaprio Workout Tuesday Routine = Legs
- 1+ hour morning run
- 1 hour weightlifting: Legs
- 30 min martial arts
Here’s the Tuesday Legs Routine. Instead of having a certain number of reps in mind. Instead of having a certain number of reps in mind, just do sets of each circuit until you feel “you’ve killed it.”
- Single-Leg Squats
- Lunges with a Kick
- Lateral Shuffle Cardio Interval (3, 1-minute bursts)
- Duck Squats
- Leg Extensions
- Mountain Climbers Cardio Interval (2 sets of 15 each leg)
- Wall Squats
- Lunge Side Kicks
- Skater Lunges Cardio Intervals (20-30 jumps each side)
- Calf Raises
Martial Arts: (Advanced: Hold a 10 lb. dumbbell for all these moves)
- Jab-Cross Combinations (25 reps)
- Jab-Cross-Roundhouse Kick (25 reps)
- Jab-Cross-Roundhouse Kick-Jab-Cross-Hook (20 reps)
- Snap-and-Roundhouse Combo (50 kick)
- Roundhouse Kicks (Rapid Fire 50 kicks)
- Thai Knee-Abs
This martial arts workout was designed by Gregory Joujon-Roche’s assistant, Steven Ho, who played Donatello in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.Get The Best Male Workouts Here!